Thursday, October 31, 2013

NEW RELEASES - ROBBIE WILLIAMS, CHAKA KHAN, MUSIC FROM AND FEATURED IN 12 YEARS A SLAVE

ROBBIE WILLIAMS - SWINGS BOTH WAYS

Following in the rhythmic footsteps of Robbie's most successful album to date, 2001's Swing When You're Winning, this new release features a mix of classic covers and new material as well as duets with some of pop's biggest names, including Lily Allen, Michael BublĂ©, Kelly Clarkson, Olly Murs and Rufus Wainwright.The album features cover versions of well known songs, as well as six new tracks written by Williams and Guy Chambers, who also produced the album. Williams stated "First of all, I wanted to do a swing album because I wanted to do a swing album. I always knew I'd do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it. I'm enjoying showbiz and I'm enjoying my life and my understanding of where I am now is that there needs to be an event every time I bring out a record. The album this time is a definite ode and a loving glance towards a period on the planet that I was never invited to 'coz I wasn't there… I wanted to be, which I feel still very strongly linked to." The album comes in two editions - standard and deluxe, which features three extra tracks and some very special bonus studio footage.

CHAKA KHAN - ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES: CHAKA / NAUGHTY / WHAT CHA' GONNA DO FOR ME / CHAKA KHAN / I FEEL FOR YOU

Large-lunged R&B diva Chaka Khan’s first five solo albums for Warner Bros – 1978’s Chaka, 1980’s Naughty, the following year’s What Cha’ Gonna Do For Me, ’82’s Chaka Khan and ’84’s I Feel For You – are now available in a single package as part of Rhino’s Original Album Series. The downside for collectors is that none of the albums have been remastered and there’s a conspicuous absence of sleenenotes and bonus tracks. On the plus side, however, all the albums are presented in replica mini-LP sleeves and, with an enticing mid-price sales tag, they represent a good opportunity for Chaka Khan novices to pick up the singer’s best work in one fell swoop. Though I Feel For You – featuring Chaka’s combustible reworking of the Prince-penned title track – is the best known LP of the bunch, her first three albums (all helmed by the late, great Arif Mardin) undoubtedly contain her best work. Her debut includes the anthemic I’m Every Woman, but the killer cuts are Some Love, a gargantuan slab of churning symphonic funk, and Sleep On It. Naughty – perhaps Khan’s most overlooked album – is also packed with memorable cuts that showcase her incredible vocal range, including the disco-inflected Clouds and the soaring mid-tempo groover, Move Me No Mountain. ~ Charles Waring

MUSIC FROM AND FEATURED IN 12 YEARS A SLAVE (VARIOUS ARTISTS)

12 Years a Slave is a 2013 British-American historical drama film based on the 1853 autobiography Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped in Washington, D.C. after being lured from Saratoga Springs, New York in 1841 and sold into slavery. He worked on plantations in the state of Louisiana for 12 years before his rescue and release. The critically acclaimed film was directed by Steve McQueen and written by John Ridley, and it received the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival. The film opens here in the US in limited release October 18th. Music From and Featured in 12 Years A Slave is a compilation of songs of freedom inspired by the story of Solomon Northup. The album includes new music from John Legend, Alicia Keys, Alabama Shakes, Gary Clark, Jr., Chris Cornell w/ Joy Williams of The Civil Wars, and more; plus selections of the original movie score by Hans Zimmer.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...