Wednesday, April 21, 2021

John Patitucci | "Letter For Paul"

Letter For Paul

In 1972, my family moved from New York to the Bay Area of Northern California. I was in my early teens and had started playing electric bass a few years earlier. Once we arrived in the Bay Area, it wasn’t long before I met Chris Poehler, an excellent bassist, arranger, teacher and band leader. He had played with Wes Montgomery, Earl “Fatha“ Hines, Chet Baker, and many others. Chris introduced me to many great jazz records by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and others. Chris happened to be good friends with bassist Paul Jackson and drummer Mike Clark. In fact, Chris was there in the studio to watch some of the recording of Herbie’s amazing classic - Headhunters.

I remember being captivated by Paul Jackson’s Funk style. He was able to mix a loose and flexible jazz approach with an unbelievably funky feel. His bass lines were SO soulful, rhythmically ultra-creative and powerful. I wound up learning most of his bass lines from the Headhunters record, as well as others Paul played from subsequent Herbie Hancock records. Paul’s influence on my playing and, in particular his bass line composition, has been profound. I was in the studio working for Piero Pata and Le Coq Records a few weeks before Paul’s passing. On the last day of recording, we were jamming on a groove that was very “Paul“ influenced. I had no idea that Paul was ill and it was an eerie coincidence that he did leave us a couple of weeks later. I decided to release this tribute to him and his amazing playing. I offer it now with gratitude and love to him, and for the family he has left behind.

~ John Patitucci


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great track! Filthy funk!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...