Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Jazz Vocalist MARTY ELKINS releases WALKIN' BY THE RIVER

Mentored by piano great Dave McKenna, tutored by the legendary Ann Marie Moss and supported by musical alchemist Allen Toussaint, Marty Elkins is fulfilling dreams - those of her own, and those of the fans who always knew she was a New York talent deserving much wider recognition. Her new record, Walkin' By The River, affirms everyone's belief; it finds Elkins interpreting a host of American Songbook standards. It is her third release on the German Nagel Heyer label. "I wanted to gather the songs that meant the most to me," the vocalist says, "tunes that feel timeless. My aim was to give them a shiny new coat and offer all a new way of hearing them."

On Walkin' By The River Elkins tackles some traditional gems that harken across the decades ("Runnin' Wild," "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea," "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby,"), as well as less traveled tunes delivered with a twist ("Garbage Can Blues," "Down To Steamboat Tennessee," I'll Wind."). Throughout, she proves herself a songbird with heart, endowing these songs with lessons learned from the greats, from the likes of Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith and Louis Jordan.
  
"Everything I've ever heard goes into my singing," Elkins continues,"as if the sound of the classic singers AND the sound of their records live inside me. I like to draw on that for inspiration." The evidence can be heard on Walkin' By The River. It is Exhibit A for her case: the artists who deserve wider recognition might just get it.

Musicians: Marty Elkins (Vocals); Jon-Erik Kellso (Trumpet); Howard Alden (Guitar); Joel Diamond (Hammond C3 Organ); Steve Ash (Piano); Lee Hudson (Bass); and Taro Okamoto (Drums)

TRACKS
01 If I Could Be With You (4:51)
02 Runnin' Wild (3:23)
03 Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby (5:24)
04 Garbage Can Blues (3:09)
05 When My Sugar Walks Down the Street (3:31)
06 Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin' (5:20)
07 There'll Be Some Changes Made (3:18)
08 Down To Steamboat Tennessee (5:38)
09 Comes Love   (5:52)
10 Ill Wind   (4:40)
11 I'll Never Be the Same (5:05)
12 Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (4:55)
13 Walkin' By the River (6:00)



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...