Tuesday, January 31, 2012

DETROIT'S SMOOTH JAZZ "OASIS" AND "BONE" GO OFF THE AIR

Martz Communications has ceased operations of its pair of HD fed translators in Detroit. Tim Martz-run Radio Power had trouble finding a workable frequency for smooth jazz "Oasis", after an interference complaint filed by Clear Channel's Toledo rocker, WIOT. The Oasis originally signed on at 104.7, the same frequency as WIOT, and the FCC rules are that a translator (such as 104.7 The Oasis) must sign off if there is a complaint by a full-power station, pending resolution of the problem. The Oasis looked at other frequencies, including 93.9 and 93.5. But the Smooth Jazz Board of Radio-Info.com reports that both station's Facebook pages feature the same statement saying that "All good things must come to an end. We’re sorry to say that The Oasis has ceased operations today. Thanks for your support Detroit. You’re the best.”


Bone Program Director Holly Hutton added, “Hey – Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone who listened and supported us. I know we had signal issues…but my personal experience at this station was a positive one. This company really celebrated true radio programming and gave me an opportunity to learn and discover that radio could be FUN again. I appreciate Martz and the time I had here and the friends I have made. From the inside and out; it was the radio that I fell in love with a bzillion years ago. I’m not sure if you’ll hear me on the air again…but if it’s meant to be, it will and I’ll talk to you then. xoxo ~ Holly Hutton”.


Both translators debuted last April 20 with programming fed by HD subchannels of 107.5 WGPR. The Oasis has struggled with interference issues with WIOT Toledo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...