The Los Angeles Philharmonic announced today the line-up for the 38th annual Playboy Jazz Festival, to be held Saturday, June 11, and Sunday, June 12, 2016, at the Hollywood Bowl at 3:00pm. An internationally acclaimed event, the Playboy Jazz Festival is one of the premier jazz festivals in the United States and attracts audiences from across the globe.
Featuring an unparalleled mix of illustrious jazz greats, next generation leaders and Festival perennials, this year’s headliners include Festival alums Fourplay (celebrating their 25th Anniversary), Jon Batiste, Robert Cray, Pete Escovedo and Los Van Van, who will be joined by an extraordinary roster of Festival newcomers including Seth MacFarlane, Janelle Monáe, Cécile McLorin Salvant, The Bad Plus Joshua Redman, Joey Alexander Trio, John Beasley’s MONK’estra, Liv Warfield, South Africa’s Freshlyground, London’s Anthony Strong, and Sonny Landreth, who will be playing with Robert Cray.
Joining them will be Festival faves Naturally 7 and New Orleans’ Big Chief Donald Harrison Jr. (in a new configuration with the Congo Nation-New Orleans Cultural Group), along with Javon Jackson and Sax Appeal featuring special guests Jimmy Heath, George Cables, Peter Washington, and Willie Jones III; Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah Presents Stretch Music; The LAUSD/Beyond the Bell All-City Jazz Big Band Under the Direction of Tony White and J.B. Dyas, and the CSUN Jazz A Band directed by Matt Harris.
A very special celebratory tribute to the late Blues giant B.B. King will feature The Robert Cray Band with special guests Sonny Landreth and Roy Gaines.
A legend in the pantheon of music festivals, the Playboy Jazz Festival has featured artists ranging from legends such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie™ and Count Basie to today’s hottest stars and contemporary artists, including Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, The Roots, Esperanza Spalding and Trombone Shorty. Now in its 38th year, the Playboy Jazz Festival will once again feature two days of extraordinary musical performances, with multi-talented entertainer George Lopez as the Master of Ceremonies for the fourth year in a row.
The complete line-up is as follows:
PLAYBOY JAZZ FESTIVAL 2016
Saturday, June 11: 3pm
- Jon Batiste & Stay Human
- Seth MacFarlane with conductor Joel McNeely
- Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Los Van Van
- Naturally 7
- The Bad Plus Joshua Redman
- Joey Alexander Trio
- John Beasley’s MONK’estra
- The LAUSD/Beyond the Bell All-City Jazz Big Band Under the Direction of Tony White and J.B. Dyas
Sunday, June 12: 3pm
- Fourplay Silver Anniversary with Bob James, Nathan East, Chuck Loeb and Harvey Mason
- Janelle Monáe
- The Robert Cray Band Celebrating B.B. King with special guests Sonny Landreth and Roy Gaines Pete Escovedo Orchestra featuring Sheila E., Juan and Peter Michael
- Javon Jackson and Sax Appeal featuring special guests Jimmy Heath, George Cables, Peter Washington, Willie Jones III
- Big Chief Donald Harrison Jr. and the Congo Nation-New Orleans Cultural Group
- Liv Warfield
- Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah Present Stretch Music
- Anthony Strong
- CSUN Jazz A Band directed by Matt Harris
Master of Ceremonies: George Lopez