Monday, August 01, 2011

WLOQ 103.1FM ORLANDO DROPS SMOOTH JAZZ FORMAT

103.1 FM / WLOQ in Orlando has recently been sold and is in the process of switching formats from Smooth Jazz to an unknown format. At midnight on August 1, WLOQ's smooth jazz format moved exclusively online, and the station began stunting as "Elvis 103.1" until the new format is unveiled. The station initially signed on the air in 1966 as WLOQ-FM and at the time the format was all instrumental “beautiful” music through 1977. The station programmed what became the Smooth Jazz format from 1977 to 2011. In 2011, after CEO John Gross retired for medical reasons, WLOQ was sold to TTB Media Corporation. Here is a message posted online from the CEO of the station:

"What can one say about a family, radio staff, and you... all who have been responsible for creating the iconic format and community that is 103.1 WLOQ? "The first of its kind", "family owned and operated", "the last of the independents" - these and every phrase fall short, when describing what has been life long friendships of the rarest kind. From the Gross family, past and present staff at 103.1 WLOQ, please join us in our final weeks on-air as we bring listeners, past personalities, musical super stars, community builders, and you together for one last celebration of all things 103.1 WLOQ. You won't want to miss it! Once again, on behalf of my family and staff please accept our deepest gratitude and most heartfelt thanks for 34 fantastic years! Our very best wishes to you and yours."

Sincerely,
Jim Gross
Co-CEO
Gross Communications Corporation
Welcome to WLOQ OnLine!

17 comments:

me said...

im very upset about this ive listened 2 this station since i was a child it was my getway stationmy fav station yall have to come back this is real music jazz fans need there music back

me said...

im very upset u guys need to come back i ve been listening 2 this station since iwas a little gurl your jazz fan need this station back this was my fav and relaxing station this was real music

Anonymous said...

WLOQ-FM has been a big part of the local community as well as known throughout the jazz community. It is loved by a large and loyal audience. It's a shame the new owners don't recognize its success and uniqueness, and chose to change formats. I won't be listening to 103.1 anymore. I WILL however be listening online to WLOQ!!

Unknown said...

how sad, I'm so going to miss the smooth jazz...especially on Sundays when me and my family get together for Sunday drives.

Anonymous said...

I feel like there has been a death in the family. I am so sad and am going to miss my favorite radio station very much!

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to help me get loose after a long day at work, and nothing to help me sleep. I'm Spanish but this Spanish stuff needs to go, I need my jazz back!!!!

Anonymous said...

My family and I have listened to WLOQ for many many years and are now saddened to find the Spanish Channel. There are so many Spanish stations now, why ruin this wonderful smooth easy listening station. I am sorry to say that we will never listen to WLOQ again!!!

Anonymous said...

so sad...I thought it was just a Spanish day when I tuned in....don't get out much,so I never heard Smooth Jazz was gone.....now I have to pick a new station for my #1 button...

Anonymous said...

Like everything else in Florida we continue to loose our American way of life and have to press 2 to hear English. Why a station like WLOQ would sell out to spanish music content is beyond the understanding for long time listeners. English is a dieing language in our country which is a shame.

Caramel_violet said...

I truly miss the radio station I loved it.

ELLIOTT said...

Well sorry but.... Money calls for money.. they should have more Spanish stations since they're the largest minority in central Florida...thanks for your listening but...ADIOS ..AND OF COURSE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LISTEN NO MORE ..YOU AREN'T SPANISH SPEAKING...DUH..

Anonymous said...

Sad, yes, that is one way to put it. However, pathetic would be more appropriate.

I've heard them all fall, up and down the east coast. New York, Philly, etc. No more Smooth Jazz.

A signature piece in this countries' cultural development - Jazz, and you can no longer find over the air radio stations where you can listen to it.

It is indicative of what is going wrong with this country. Quality of content means nothing. The financial gains to be made end up meaning everything.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am a seventeen year old girl and i was born in Orlando and raised up on smooth jazz. Me and my family moved to Vegas three years ago and have since returned. I couldn't wait to listen to Wloq needless to say i am very disappointed! It would be nice to see the new owners keep the original format but for now i guess i'll stick to Itunes :(

Steve E said...

I began listening to LOQ in '77 while at Edgewater HS and have loved their format ever since. I can remember that while driving to Daytona Beach the signal would drop out on I4 as I crossed Lake Monroe. As the years passed and the station grew, and so did the signal. It was a great surprise when one day on the way to the beach the signal continued all the way to Daytona! That memory has lasted for years! Much to my surprise I just found LOQ at 102.5!! It was like seeing an old HS friend for the first time in years. All of the fond memories and joy was renewed again. Though the present LOQ signal is not as strong as previously in once was, I still have Cool Jazz again, also as my number 1 button on all of my stereo systems! Long Live SmoothJazz WLOQ 102.5

Anonymous said...

Wloq is now 102.5 - Fantastic!!! Let us all enjoy again!

Rafi the Caricature dude said...

Bummer! Will sorely miss WLOQ. Tuned in since '93. Had to relocate to VA and found a comparable Smooth Jazz alternative station then all of a sudden; ba-bam! got taken off the air for an oldies station.

Unknown said...

Online has changed also. 1 jazz song to 10 different genres. I listen in Ohio as we have none here. Adios(sorry) have to depend in IHeart Smooth Jazz

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...