Friday, October 18, 2024

Marion Meadows | Just Doing Me

At the heart of this journey called life is the unyielding quest for self-discovery. Each one of us has our own song and finding the right notes, is what makes this symphony of life sweeter. This eternal mission is often at the heart of a musician’s artistic expression. Top-selling saxophonist Marion Meadows, reflects, “Growing up, I was more of a science kid but when I began to play music, the light bulb went off and there was no turning back. I jumped all the way in.”

Thirty-four years since his recording debut as a leader, collaborations with The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, George Benson, and Eartha Kitt, and 17 albums later, Marion’s vision remains sharply focused. “I try and offer a peaceful and loving approach through my music,” shares the strikingly handsome saxman, who is also an accomplished photographer, visual artist, and avid cyclist. “Music is that one gift that enables us to get to a place where we can release the stresses of life and let the music take over. Through an abundance of love, gratitude, and humility, I seek to be a creative person and a good citizen. There are a lot of challenges and uncertainty in the world today, so I just try to stick to the music and art.” 

Meadows, who studied with iconic heavy-weight saxophonists Joe Henderson, Sonny Fortune, and Dave Liebman, also credits Emmy-winning TV composer Jay Chattaway of Star Trek fame for helping to kick start his career. Chattaway heard him playing the sax while waiting for the train in Grand Central station and later introduced him to Bob James. Although James and Meadows never released an album together, they did record several tracks which Meadows attributes to his foray into contemporary jazz. October 25, 2024, Shanachie Entertainment will release the anticipated Just Doing Me, an inspiring collection of mostly originals that unite Meadows with several great friends, musicians and producers including Chris “Big Dog” Davis, Rahni Song, Wirlie Morris, and Paul Brown, among others. “This album speaks volumes about where I am in my life, which is actually a very good place personally and artistically. I am very happy and 17 albums in, I’m still creating music that I love!”

Even though the moon rises in the east and sets in the west, Marion Meadows’ lunar orbit creates a gravitational pull that will have you wrapped in his sonic wonder. “The title is sort of a play on words," he explains. "It was inspired by the fact that as we go into this this world of artificial intelligence, we worry or are curious about what's going to happen next for humanity. My play on ‘AI Moonrise’ is that we have not been very good custodians of the planet and I don't say that frivolously. I mean this is something that we really needed to pay attention to a long time ago and people joked about it, but here we are now realizing that is it not the same planet anymore. How much longer can we sustain humanity if we do not become good caretakers? If we cannot look out for our home instead of trashing it, then I don’t think that we are going to sustain our existence.” “AI Moonrise,” features Meadows’ ex-wife, the talented Maria Meadows on the vocals. 

The title Just Doing Me is appropriate now that I am three decades into my career. As my career has progressed, I've defined who I am. I have come to the point where I have realized that part of my legacy is that I’m just doing me. I’ve taken my own road and I'm glad I did. I’d like to think that I have remained true to what I have always envisioned for myself.” Marion Meadows wrote and recorded Just Doing Me over a two-year period. “We recorded it everywhere from Hawaii to Nashville, you name it. We set up studios all over the place, guys were recording in Connecticut, California, and Arizona but that's just the way it's done, and I can't thank them all enough.” Just Doing Me opens with the bluesy and smooth-swinging “Say What,” featuring Marion’s fluid and funky soprano that soulfully call and respond to Chris “Big Dog” Davis’ sailing and head-nodding piano runs. The duo penned “Say What” together and co-wrote the scintillating and rhythmically charged hypnotic groove “Pleasures Of You,” that follows. The inviting “Going Back Home,” a collaboration with Rahni Song hints to an irresistible Afro-beats vibe. Meadows’ ethereal saxes float atop Song’s bright keyboards and percussion fare to delightful effect.  Song and Meadows also co-wrote the tender ballad “Scarlet,” which features, Grammy award-winning composer/guitarist Brian Keane. “Rahni is a long-time friend and I admire his work,” says Marion. “He’s produced many songs for me, and we have co-produced and written many songs together. He's well known for producing the early gold and platinum albums for Najee, Melba Moore, and Freddie Jackson. His resume is incredible.” The album’s title track is the winning combination of feel-good energy and thrilling synergistic ensemble interplay. Meadows is joined on the track by Wirlie Morris with whom he wrote the song and guitarist Adam Armijo. “Wirlie has a long history including The S.O.S band and most recently he produced Norman Brown’s hit records. Wirlie and I have worked together in the past. He’s responsible for my cover of Rose Royce’s “Wishing On A Star” years ago and I don't do very many cover songs. He’s an incredible producer and he brought a lot of great music to this album. He is a superstar in his own right.”

The lone cover on the album is R&B group 112’s Billboard #1 “Only You,” which originally featured The Notorious B.I.G. and later a remix with B.I.G. and Mase. Meadows’ track features the Gaines Brothers (bassist Will Gaines bassist from Marion’s touring band and keyboardist Lamar Gaines). “They co-produced a version of ‘Only You,’ that is a very technical piece, and it came out incredible. It’s a great pleasure to be able to work with these young up-and-coming musicians.” “I Got You” was co-written by guitarist Paul Brown (who plays percussion on the track), along with fellow guitarist Shane Theriot. One of the highlights on Just Doing Me is the showcase of Marion’s full array of saxophones. Throughout the album he plays tenor and soprano. He recalls, “I was really a tenor player before I was a soprano player. I gravitated to the soprano because I was a clarinet player and it's very similar in embouchure, size, and attack. I'm playing both tenor and soprano on multiple tracks and I always have fun doing that.” The smokey “Black Cat,” conjures the essence of mysticism as the horns of Meadows and trumpeter Rueben Brock meander atop the percussive accents of Curtis McCain. Fishermen have long been known to sail with a black cat on board to conjure good luck. Meadows guides us on an unforgettable voyage on this stunning track. “Velvet” follows with its soothing and meditative energy and “Kool Days” bring the rousing journey to a finale.

Born into a multi-cultural family in West Virginia, Marion Meadows’ father relocated from a coal mining town in West Virginia to Stamford, CT in search of better opportunities for his family. Marion began his musical endeavors at age eight, studying clarinet. “I came up listening to Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Duke Ellington but at the same time musicians like Earth Wind & Fire, Chaka Khan, Chicago and Parliament Funkadelic,” confesses Meadows who early on cut his teeth playing in Avant-Garde jazz groups alongside heavyweights Rashied Ali and James Blood Ulmer. At age 15, after hearing iconic saxophone masters like Sidney Bechet, Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Hodges and Stanley Turrentine, Marion Meadows’ switch to saxophone was imminent. He initially had his sights set on a career as a zoologist. Upon high school graduation, he attended the renowned Berklee School of Music in Boston, later transferring to SUNY Purchase School of the Arts. While still a student, the ambitious saxophonist worked steadily as a sideman. He jokes that he “got a graduate degree playing in clubs.” He was also fortunate to study with the best including Joe Henderson, Dave Liebman and Eddie Daniels. While at Berklee, Meadows had another serendipitous encounter, this time with drummer producer extraordinaire Norman Connors, who was then playing with legendary saxophonist Pharaoh Sanders. Meadows who holds a Doctorate in Arts and Humanities from Wilberforce University says, “Norman Connors was really the guy who discovered me as an artist. The man who gave me my first shot.” Connors recorded Marion’s song “Invitation” and later extended an invitation to Marion to join his band. Connors, who collaborated with many of R&B and jazz’s greatest singers, afforded Marion the opportunity to work alongside such dynamic voices as Jean Carne, Phyllis Hyman, Glenn Jones, Angela Bofill, and many others. “That was graduate school, so to speak,” laughs Meadows. After graduating with honors from ‘Connors’ University,’ the well-rounded saxophonist spent time honing his chops on the avant-garde circuit in the ensemble "Aboriginal Music Society," which featured guitarist James Blood Ulmer, percussionist Juma Sutan and pianist Kasa Allah.

In an industry that is rapidly changing and often unforgiving, Marion Meadows has seemed to have found the antidote for longevity. In 1990 Marion Meadows made his recording debut, For Lovers Only, featuring Eliot Lewis, Porter Carroll, Brian Keane, and Average White Band alumnus Alan Gorrie. Two years later he joined forces with Will Downing, Bob Baldwin, Angela Bofill and Norman Connors for his sophomore recording Keep It Right There. Further solidifying his rightful place in the pantheon of great saxophonists, Meadows released Forbidden Fruit in 1994 with special guests Eric Benet, Don Grusin and Dori Caymmi, among others. Body Rhythm followed in 1996 and Pleasure was released the following year which featured Micheal Bearden as producer and keyboardist on several tracks along with the late Waymon Tisdale. Another Side of Midnight was released in 1999 showcasing Meadows alongside Bob Baldwin, Omar Hakim, and Norman Brown and Johnny Britt of “Impomtu” fame. Next To You followed in 2000 along with In Deep in 2002. Player’s Club in 2004 spawned two hit singles, “Suede” and “Sweet Grapes,” both co-written and produced by Micheal Broening which have gone on to become two of Marion’s signature songs. In 2006 Dressed To Chill was released and featured memorable renditions of hits by R. Kelly and Luther Vandross and joined Meadows with Chuck Loeb and his longtime touring keyboardist and vocalist Will Brock, among others. Secrets and its title track topped the Smooth Jazz charts in 2009. The anticipated Whisper followed in 2013 showcasing the stunning Top Ten Billboard hit “Black Pearl” and in 2015 Meadows released Soul Traveler written and produced by Italian producer Carlo Penissi featuring another Top ten hit, “Humanity.” 2018 saw the release of Soul City, which united Meadows with Peabo Bryson, Maysa, Peter White, Norman Brown, and Will Downing. Christmas With You, Marion Meadows’ holiday recording was released in 2019 collaborating, once again with Rahni Song and the lauded Twice As Nice followed in 2021.

Marion concludes, “I never compromise on the music, and I’ve always stayed true to my convictions. At the same time much of my creativity is a spiritual endeavor which has continually guided me as an artist. I want to be able to touch my audiences in a meaningful way because, at the end of the day that is all we can ask for as artists.”

https://amzn.to/48f4Scm

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...