Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Guitarist Henry Robinett's "Jazz Standards, Vol. 1: Then" Finally Released After 20 Years on the Shelf

HENRY ROBINETT is a guitarist, composer, bandleader and recording engineer who has released five albums since 1986 to stellar reviews. His first release, The Henry Robinett Group, received a 4-Star review in DownBeat Magazine. JazzTimes said about his 2016 release, I Have Known Mountains, “The dozen pieces that appear here make it plainly clear that Robinett is a man who places a high premium on clarity. His well-thought-out messages, be they focused on tragedy, love, or life's winding road(s), manage to appeal to the ear. If jazz has an accessibility problem, nobody bothered to tell Henry Robinett.” He is finally releasing an album he recorded 20 years ago.

JAZZ STANDARDS, VOLUME 1: THEN is unlike his other releases. Known for his modern, eclectic sound that melds world music with electric jazz, Robinett recorded Jazz Standards as an homage to the musicians whom he admires and who have shaped his music. “Honestly, I don’t know why I left it on the shelf for so long,” says Robinett. “I grew up listening to bebop, and the great bebop players had enormous influence on me. When I wrote and performed my own music, though, I naturally incorporated the wide range of music styles I had played with other bands. I think the Jazz Standards album was just too different from my other work, which made me hesitant to release it. But after listening to it again after so many years, I like it. I think it stands up well and shows another side to my playing.”

The album is resplendent with Robinett’s tasty grooves. His guitar work is swinging and accessible, and he approaches a tune not unlike a singer, emphasizing the melody while adding colors through his phrasing and harmonic choices. Jazz Standards, Volume 1: Then shows a more traditional side of Robinett’s artistry while still retaining his highly appealing style.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...