Wednesday, February 05, 2020

A sweet and jazzy Valentine with love from Sophie Fatu


“Love is…” is no standard collection of standards. The six-song debut EP arrives Valentine’s Day from the seven-year-old jazz singer millions of television viewers fell in love with when Sophie Fatu became the youngest ever contestant on “America’s Got Talent” and sang on “Ellen” and the Steve Harvey-hosted “Little Big Shots.” Recorded at Capitol Studios where one of Fatu’s idols, Frank Sinatra, recorded and accompanied by a big band orchestra that includes musicians who backed Sinatra, “Love is…” showcases the pint-sized powerhouse belting out tunes from the Great American Songbook with the talent and pizazz of a seasoned veteran.   
  
Fatu is the daughter of two accomplished, classically trained musicians, pianist Victoria Fatu and violinist Cristian Fatu, thus was exposed to music at an early age. She developed an affinity for jazz, particularly the classics made famous by The Rat Pack, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Frankie Lymon and modern-day crooner Michael Bublé. She picked up on and emulated their vocal delivery as she learned (memorized) their songs swiftly, becoming enamored with the music and legends who have stood the test of time. 

“When I walked into Capitol Studios and saw all the pictures on the wall, I could not believe it. All the biggest stars - all my favorite artists - recorded there. I stood on the same spot where Sinatra recorded. And Dean Martin! And they recorded the same songs. That was crazy! I had the most amazing musicians working with me. They worked with Sinatra, Elvis, Ella and all the people I listened to when I fell in love with music,” said Fatu, who makes her feature film debut later this year when she costars in a major action thriller.  

Issued on the Extraordinary Records imprint, “Love is…” is a serious jazz record. Anchored by a noteworthy trio consisting of drummer Jeff Hamilton (Fitzgerald, Diana Krall, Count Basie Orchestra), double bassist Chuck Berghofer (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Ray Charles) and pianist Tom Ranier (Barbra Streisand, Natalie Cole, Christina Aguilera), Greg Curtis and Victoria Fatu produced the tracks that were lavishly illustrated by a 13-piece horn section and a 14-piece string section (that included Cristian Fatu). In such prestigious company, Sophie Fatu shines with panache, exhibiting virtually perfect pitch and consummate control. The national television appearances and performance videos that have garnered over 150 million views reveal a genuinely gifted vocalist who has remarkable timing, phrasing, meter and rhythm that far belie her years. Fatu also has an innate ability for infusing her magnetic charisma, exuberance, verve and boundless joy into every song that she sings. 

“I’m so lucky to be singing jazz music. It’s so different from everything else. I can feel happy, excited, sad and angry - all at the same time when I sing it,” said the Los Angeles-based Fatu, an old soul with a passion and a purpose for Sinatra’s music.  

“Frank Sinatra was my favorite singer since I was four-years-old. The more songs I heard, the more I loved him and wanted to sing his songs. I want to make sure no one ever forgets him and his music.”
  
To celebrate the album release, Fatu will serve as guest host of “Playing Favorites” on SiriusXM’s Siriusly Sinatra on Valentine’s Day. Her playlist will include cuts from Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Bublé, Tony Bennett and three tunes from “Love is…”

“I can’t believe I now have my own CD with some of my favorite songs from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Michael Bublé and Frankie Lymon. I am very proud I made this record and I hope the whole world will love it. I’m very happy and lucky to be able to sing and perform for everyone and see people smile and get happy when they hear me. I want to do this for my whole life.” 

“Love is…” contains the following songs:
“Ain’t That A Kick in the Head”
“Goody Goody”
“(Love is) The Tender Trap”
“All The Way”
“Feeling Good”
“High Hopes”



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...