Friday, July 29, 2011

SMOOTH JAZZ 92.7 HARRISBURG, PA: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

Smooth Jazz 92.7 in Harrisburg, PA is switching formats and is currently "stunting" as it is known in the industry. Stunting (if you will) is when a station about to switch formats plays with its audience by playing music across a slew of formats for an extended period of time until the new format is lauchned.  This is the approach that Hall Communications “Smooth Jazz 92.7” WSJW Starview/Harrisburg, PA has has taken.  In this particular case the stunt consists of covers of “Stairway To Heaven” interspersed with comedy bits from cartoons such as Space Ghost Coast To Coast.The station’s website features the following farewell message:
The decision to end Smooth Jazz 92.7 was not an easy one to make. Many factors contributed to the change, including the fact that listenership never reached predicted levels and revenues coming in were not enough to support the station and keep it on the air. We thank you for being a loyal listener and for your support of the station. A new format will begin shortly.

Smooth Jazz had been 92.7's format from March 1, 2004. Before that, 92.7 used to be oldies format WHBO. Oldies had been broadcasting since June 29, 2001. WGEK was the previous station that broadcast on the 92.7 frequency- it is surmised that the station was known as "The Eagle" and the format was classic rock, although this has not been confirmed. WGEK were the call letters from February 23, 1996 until 2001. WHTF was the previous station before that, airing the Jammer and Coffey show. WHTF broadcast from August 12, 1983 until February 23, 1996.

11 comments:

Ron Myers said...

I am sorry that we will no longer have a local jazz radio station. I don't need another rock station, we already have enough of those. I loved the stunting recording that played for the weekend. Is it possible to get a copy of that?

sandwichking said...

I personally don't remember Coffee and Jammer on starview years back. That doesn't mean they weren't there. I thought Coffee came from 100.7 WGRX in baltimore to 93.5 WTPA Harrisburg. My high school 70's days I believe were a morning show with RJ Harris and later Mike Ondeko and Colleen Manz with the Morning Wrecking Crew. 92.7 Starview was a very popular station in its day

sandwichking said...

I don't remember Coffee & Jammer on Starview. Can anyone clear this up. In the late 70's I remember mornings with RJ Harris and later the Morning Wrecking Crew with Mike Ondeko and Colleen Manz.If my memory serves me correctly I believe Coffee came from 100.7 WGRX "Baltimore's Classic Rock" to 93.5 WTPA Harrisburg and worked w/Jammin Jeff Kauffman.And yes at one time 92.7 was airing classic rock as the EAGLE

Anonymous said...

I am really sad to see this end. It was so relaxing to me. This area has enough classic rock stations and I don't think we need another one. I hope there will be another slow jazz channel soon. Why does it have to be another classic rock that competes? Will miss you slow jazz 92.7...

Anonymous said...

REAL sorry to lose a GREAT RADIO STATION full of Jazz. We all could care less about yet another rock station.
Even your very cool website is gone, which was full of timely local jazz concert info, etc.
WHAT A LOSS !!! I must say, we're not impressed.

Suzie said...

Well, it was said that Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and Alabama in between. No more jazz in this area and another rock station gives credence to those words.

Dana@ dfk1064@aol.com said...

I left Baltimore in '04 and left behind a great Jazz station owned by Infinity Radio. I moved to York,Pa and was so happy to have found 92.7 Smooth Jazz. Now it too is gone. Another rock station?....seriously???? Hey I love music .....ALL music.....so give me my choices! Anyone have any idea how to communicate with Hall Communications on how we can collectively do this and get Smooth Jazz back? Hey I for one am willing to take the lead with some help! Any ideas??

Anonymous said...

I am so disturbed and saddened by this. How many classic rock stations does one area of this size actually need. Doesn't anyone in this area appreciate jazz?? Apparently not enough. It is impossible to be in a bad mood after listening to it. Give it a chance people. Let go of your classic rock angst and chill to some smooth tunes. I'm hoping a new station will arise but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe satellite radio is worth the fee.

Anonymous said...

I SURE DO MISS 92.7 SMOOTH JAZZ I WISH THEY WOULD BRING IT BACK

David B. said...

This radio station would lift those in the rural areas up. The soulful sounds of this station kept me smiling as I drove through the streets of Harrisburg while home on leave. After being deployed for a few years, coming home to find something positive in the community made my heart smile. There isn't much diversity on the airwaves now. The people of Harrisburg are yet promised something that falls through due to a corporate decision. It's very sad.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...