Legacy Recordings has announced the digital release of Bessie (Music from the HBO Film) on Tuesday, May 12. The official soundtrack for the upcoming HBO film will also be released on CD on Tuesday, June 2. The biographic film Bessie, starring Queen Latifah as blues legend Bessie Smith, premieres on HBO on Saturday, May 16.
An evocative collection combining historic and contemporary recordings, Bessie (Music from the HBO Film) debuts seven new Queen Latifah performances including "Young Woman Blues," "Preachin' The Blues," "Long Old Road," "Down Hearted Blues," "Work House Blues," "Weepin' Woman Blues" (a duet with vocalist Pat Bass) and "Gimme A Pigfoot and A Bottle Of Beer (2015 Remix)."
Bessie (Music from the HBO Film) premieres "Gimme A Pigfoot and A Bottle Of Beer (2015 Remix)," a postmodern reworking of Bessie Smith's original recording featuring newly recorded vocals, ad-libs and raucous banter by Queen Latifah set to enhanced instrumentation remixed and produced by Adam Blackstone and Queen Latifah. "Gimme A Pigfoot and A Bottle Of Beer (2015 Remix)" is a dream collaboration between the Empress of the Blues and Queen Latifah that exemplifies the brilliance of each of the artists while celebrating the musical soul that unites their eras and generations.
"This is a project that has been close to my heart for many years....to not only star as Bessie Smith but to also produce the film and the soundtrack is a dream for me. Recording this music was an incredible journey and I am proud to be a part of it all." - Queen Latifah
The album features modern performances of blues, jazz and swing classics including "Prove It On Me," performed by Carmen Twillie; "See See Rider," performed by Tamar-Kali; "Laugh Clown Laugh," performed by Cecile McLorin Salvant; and two new instrumental arrangements from Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks: "I've Got What It Takes (But It Breaks My Heart To Give It Away)" and "Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight."
Legacy Recordings' Bessie (Music from the HBO Film) is rounded out with authentic period recordings from Fats Waller & His Rhythm ("A Good Man Is Hard To Find"), Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra ("[What Did I Do To Be So] Black And Blue"), Sippie Wallace ("I'm A Mighty Tight Woman") and Kid Ory's Creole Orchestra ("Ballin' The Jack").
1) Young Woman's Blues - Queen Latifah
2) Hot Time In The Old Town - Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks
3) Prove It On Me - Carmen Twillie
4) Weary Blues - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Seven
5) Weepin' Woman Blues - Queen Latifah & Pat Bass
6) See See Rider - Tamar-kali
7) Ballin' The Jack - Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band
8) Down Hearted Blues - Queen Latifah
9) A Good Man Is Hard to Find - Fats Waller & His Rhythm
10) Preachin' The Blues - Queen Latifah
11) I've Got What It Takes (But It Breaks My Heart To Give It Away) - Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks
12) Work House Blues - Queen Latifah
13) I'm a Mighty Tight Woman - Sippie Wallace
14) (What Did I Do to Be So) Black and Blue - Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra
15) Laugh, Clown, Laugh - Cecile McLorin Salvant
16) Long Old Road - Queen Latifah
17) Gimme A Pigfoot and A Bottle of Beer (2015 Remix) - Bessie Smith featuring Queen Latifah