Presented by JazzTimes and the Jazz Forward Coalition, the Jazz Connect Conference will take place on January 8-9, 2015 at Saint Peter's Church in New York City. The conference brings together hundreds of members of the jazz community from all over the globe in a series of panels, workshops and events. With a theme of "Strength Through Community," Jazz Connect leads into both the APAP|NYC conference, which begins on that Friday, and Winter Jazzfest, which takes place on Friday and Saturday nights.
Highlights of the conference include:
- Keynote address by Christian McBride, the bassist, bandleader and host of NPR's "Jazz Night in America"
- Short "Stories of Inspiration" presentations by Somi, Francisco Mela and Michael Lazaroff of The Jazz Cruise
- Presentation of the Bruce Lundvall Visionary Award to SFJAZZ's Randall Kline
- In Memoriam tribute led by Ike Sturm, director of music for Saint Peter's jazz ministry
- Ask The Experts networking session done in speed-dating style* Panels on important and useful topics such as social media, DIY labels, radio airplay and promotion, building community relationships and others
- A track of sessions hosted by JazzWeek, geared to radio programming and promotion
- Informal mixer/reception hosted by NPR Music, celebrating the launch of Jazz Night in America.
- Sessions on new trends in the music business hosted by the Future of Music Coalition and Music Business Association
- Open forum on the role of jazz in social and political activism
- Hands-on workshops hosted by the Jazz Journalists Association, JazzWeek and Chamber Music America
- Moderators and panelists include a wide range of artists such as Ben Allison, Jason Moran, Kellylee Evans, Arturo O'Farrill, Willie Jones III, Greg Osby, Bob Belden, Rene Marie, Mimi Jones, Nir Felder and Marc Ribot
- Among the organizations with speakers on the program are the NEA, Chamber Music America, Kennedy Center, Jazz at Lincoln Center, Jazz Journalists Association, JazzWeek,Berks Jazz Fest, Pittsburgh Jazzlive, Jazz St. Louis, DC Jazz Festival, SFJAZZ, London Jazz Festival, Tri-C Jazz, OKeh/Sony, International Music Network, New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and many more
- Table-top displays from various jazz organizations
- For the latest schedule of events, go to www.jazz-connect.com. Register on-site for only $150. Additional discounts are available for members of various organizations, such as APAP, Chamber Music America, Jazz Journalists Association, JazzWeek, SESAC, Local 802, Jazzahead!, NARAS and several others.